Red Rice Salad
Elise Bauer, founder of “Simply Recipes” and following is a recipe for Red Rice Salad from her collection.
This rice salad is a perfect accompaniment to many fall and winter dishes - roast chicken, stews, pork chops.
You can use Heirloom Red Rice in place of wild rice and it will have a rich, nutty flavor.
Follow the full recipe at Simply Recipes Or become a fan of her FaceBook page - www.facebook.com/simplyrecipes
• 1 - 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
• 1/2 cup yellow or red onions, diced (about half a medium onion)
• 1 clove garlic, bruised and left whole (can be chopped if you love garlic)
• 1 sprig curry leaves
• 2 whole dried red chillies, broken in two and seeds removed (or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper)
• 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
• 8 - 10 fenugreek seeds
• 1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
• 1 cup masoor lentils (red lentils), washed and drained
• 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 - 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. On medium heat saute onions with oil. When the onions are softened, add the garlic clove and curry leaves. When onions start browning add red chillies, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seed start popping, add the turmeric and cook for about 10 seconds till fragrant.
2. Add coconut milk, water and lentils. Cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, till lentils are cooked through. In about 20 minutes, lentils should be done and more water can be added if want a soupier curry. Add salt to taste and take off heat.