Red Rice Porridge
by Farshiya Shafeeq
• ¼ cup Heirloom Red Rice
• 4 cups water
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons coconut milk powder (canned coconut milk can be substituted)
• 1 clove garlic
• ¼ inch cinnamon stick or a pinch of ground cinnamon
• 2-4 cardamoms
• 1/8 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (optional)
1. Rinse the rice in cool water once and drain. Soak the rice in water overnight to reduce cooking time. You can also start with 1/2 cup cooked rice.
2. Add soaked rice and liquid to a pan. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or till rice is done to required consistency.
3. It can be cooked longer to be really mushy or less for a grainy texture. More water or coconut milk may be added towards the end of cooking time
4. The garlic can be mashed into the rice at this stage and there will be no strong garlic flavor. The cinnamon and cardamoms can be removed before serving.
5. Can be eaten sweetened with brown sugar or maple syrup. Alternately can be served with a spicy salsa or sambal oelek.